Friday, December 23, 2016

An Angry Word

This might be the oddest thing you have ever read, but do you think an upper case N looks angry?
Well I do and I honestly don't know why.  It might be because of the words it starts or the points you just can't smooth out.  One word I find to be very angry is "No".  Whenever I hand write this is makes me feel so sad and afraid.  And yes I am aware of how weird this sounds.  But "No" often times is followed by disappointments, hurt feelings, sadness, and anything else less than desirable.  But "No" is a word that is a necessary evil. We are afraid to say "No" because of what? Because you think it looks scary too?  Maybe you don't realize it, but you're afraid of the word "No" as well.  Perhaps not for the same reasons I am but reasons non the less.  

Are you afraid to tell someone "No"?

Are you afraid of being told "No"?

Does that word send a chill up your spin? It does mine, it sends signals to brace myself for disappointments and dreams fallen.  But why am I so afraid of a fall, of being told "No"?  Maybe it's from past disappointments or simply my personality.  I tend to get very excited and look forward to things a lot.  Which leads to many disappointments and in a sense a fear of being told "No".  But then again "No" is a part of life.  Without "No" we live lives of obligations and not freedoms.  We have to be able to tell someone "No".  We have to be able to use that scary upper case N to allow ourselves freedom over our own lives.

"No" is a two way scary word.  We fear getting told "No" and we fear telling others "No".  We fear the rejection and the disappointments we will cause others.  But if you think about it "N" and "O" are by each other in the alphabet.  "No" is everywhere.   "No"one else seems to have a problem saying "No".  Your parents don't, your teachers don't, your friends don't, so why is it only you?  Or do you have a problem saying "No"?  

Back to the upper case "N", is it the letter itself I am afraid of or the words I associate with it?  "No" isn't the only word the sends a chill up my spin and I'm sure you have words that do the same.  It's interesting to me how letters strung together in different orders can have so many different meanings connected to them.  The human brain is an amazing thing, but sometimes it does make us feel things that aren't necessarily true.  Like a fear of an upper case letter.  How we associate things amazes me.  After all that's what I have done here, I have associated anger with a letter.  

Before you go off and judge people for their views or how they associate things, first think about how you view the world.  Everyone thinks and views the world differently. Stay opened minded because you never know what you'll find when you stop and listen to the views and opinions of others.  Who knows you might even find someone else that thinks a letter is angry. 

Annaliese~

No comments:

Post a Comment